Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct Policy (PDF)
Welcome to the Seminole County Public Library System. Our library is supported by the taxes of the citizens of Seminole County who have a right to expect each of our facilities to be clean, pleasant, and safe places for selecting materials, reading, researching, studying, writing, and attending Seminole County Public Library or community-sponsored programs and meetings.
This Code of Conduct is intended to encourage behavior that supports the library's mission of providing the best possible resources in a warm, welcoming environment. Behavior becomes unacceptable when it interferes with this mission, compromises the rights of others, causes damage to buildings or equipment, or causes injury to oneself or others. Those willing to modify unacceptable behavior are always welcome to stay. However, those unable to comply will be asked to leave. If necessary, the authorities will be called. Parents or guardians are responsible for the conduct and safety of persons under their care.
Examples of unacceptable library behavior include:
- Abandoning or leaving young children unattended;
- Abuse, vandalism, or misuse of books, other materials, equipment or property;
- Bathing, shaving, washing clothes or other misuse of restrooms;
- Bringing animals into the library (except service animals for the disabled);
- Disruptive use of cell phones, radios, televisions or other electronic products;
- Distribution or posting of printed materials;
- Eating and/or drinking;
- Illegal activity of any sort;
- Inappropriate use of library computers, such as:
- Damaging or altering computer equipment, systems or software,
- Displaying, printing, sending or storing obscene, libelous, threatening or harassing material,
- Downloading or installing any program or files on the hard drive of any computer,
- Using chat mode,
- Violating copyright or trademark laws, software license agreements or intellectual property rights;
- Loitering, including refusal to leave at closing;
- Loud talking or crying;
- Possessing, consuming, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs;
- Selling or soliciting;
- Skateboarding, roller skating, or any similar activity, as well as bringing bikes, skates, etc., into the library;
- Smoking or related tobacco use;
- Unruly or offensive behavior, such as running, hitting, wrestling, fighting, or other aggressive behavior of any type including "horseplay;"
- Verbal abuse, physical abuse, or sexual harassment of library users or staff;
- Personal hygiene so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to other people;
- Blocking entrances, exits, or aisles.