Lockdown & Shelter in place
- Residents should register for alerts at www.alertseminole.org so they can be informed as soon as a potentially dangerous situation occurs.
- Residents may be advised to shelter in place for a variety of reasons, including violent criminal activity in the area, active shooter situations, or other potentially hazardous conditions.
- In the event residents are asked to shelter in place at home, they are advised to do the following:
- Bring children and pets inside and lock all doors and windows.
- Turn off the lights and stay away from doors and windows.
- Stay in an interior room where you cannot be seen, remain quiet, and wait for all clear instructions.
- Call 9-1-1 to report any suspicious behavior or activity that occurs around your home.
Businesses are strongly encouraged to develop a lockdown plan to ensure the safety of employees and others during hazardous situations. Your business lockdown plan should include:
- Move anyone outside indoors immediately.
- Move all personnel away from doors and windows and into an interior space
- For multistory buildings, moving personnel to upper floors.
- Seek shelter in rooms where the door can be locked or quickly barricaded.
- Hide somewhere where you cannot be seen, remain quiet, and wait for all-clear or evacuation instructions.
- Call 9-1-1 to report any suspicious behavior or activity that occurs in or around your business.
- For more information on this and Active Shooter preparedness please visit https://www.ready.gov/active-shooter
Businesses are strongly encouraged to follow the FEMA “Run, Hide, Fight” principle when faced with an Active Shooter situation. For more information on this and Active Shooter preparedness please visit https://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/emergency.