The Seminole County Parks and Preservation Advisory Committee is established to serve the Board of County Commissioners by providing input and recommendations to determine and advise in the creation of and identification of policies, direction, recommendation of important natural/environmental land acquisitions, development of quality countywide trails and greenways, parks, and recreational facilities and opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Parks and Preservation Advisory Committee shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
(1) The Committee shall elect a Chairperson and a Vice-Chairperson
(2) The Committee shall work with County staff to review important natural
lands and environmental lands and make recommendations relating to lands which
should be purchased.
(3) The Committee shall work with County staff to review important trails and
greenways land and make recommendations relating to lands which should be
purchased and developed for the creation of a County-wide trails and greenways
(4) The Committee shall work with County staff to recommend and review
plans for future growth, development use and beautification of all County parks, as well
as make recommendations for appropriate budgeting of special parks, trails, natural
lands, and recreation needs.
(5) The Leisure Services Director shall be designated as the staff liaison for
the Leisure Services Advisory Committee with assistance from other County staff as
The Parks and Preservation Advisory Committee shall consist of fifteen (15) members, appointed by the Board of County Commissioners for terms of three (3) years. No appointee shall serve more than three consecutive terms. An appointment to complete an unexpired term due to a vacancy shall not count towards the term limit provided herein.
The Board shall appoint a mix of members such that the membership shall be made up of appointees
1) having academic or professional training in the biological or environmental sciences, by being an active member of a conservation group or agency, or by having experience in the passive recreational use of environmentally sensitive lands for public purposes
2) a cross section of trail user/interest groups
3) representing parks and recreation participants and residents interested in stewardship
of the County’s parks and recreation facilities and services.
The initial appointments shall be staggered. Each Commissioner shall nominate three (3) members for appointment and shall designate which of their nominees shall serve initial terms of one, two or three years such that (5) of the initial appointments shall serve an initial term of one year, five (5) shall serve an initial term of two (2) years and five (5) shall serve an initial term of three (3) years. All initial appointments shall be effective on the first day of January notwithstanding the actual date of appointment with all terms measured on a calendar year basis.
Advisory Committee Matrix
|Bryce Gibson||Tom Boyko|
J. Reid Hilliard
|Pasha Baker||Joseph Humphreys|
The Committee meets once a month. These meetings are generally held the 4th Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Softball Complex, but the time and location are subject to change. Agendas and minutes can be found by opening their event listing below.
Archived meeting agendas and minutes can be found here.
Current meeting agendas and minutes can be found here.