Hurricanes and tornadoes are not uncommon to Seminole County and by not protecting your home properly these storms can cause major damage. However there are steps that you can take to reduce the future impact of high winds. This checklist should help you to become more prepared for the future in the event of a hurricane, tornado, or other major storm.
- Be sure that your roof has been properly secured with hurricane straps.
- Reinforce your garage door or install a new impact and wind resistant garage door.
- Replace entry doors with solid wood or hollow metal doors which resist wind and flying debris.
- Be sure your doors have at least three hinges and deadbolt locks.
- Before a storm put away any outdoor furniture or barbeque grills which can become missiles in high winds. Do not use barbeque grills inside.
- Trim any tree branches hanging over your house.
- Have a safe room (a first floor interior room with no windows) that your family can use during a hurricane or tornado.