Florida's Natural Choice
Print Screen RSS Feeds
Contact Us

Tina Williamson
Development Services Director

Development Services
1101 East 1st Street
Sanford, FL 32771
Phone: (407) 665-7371

Building Division
1101 East 1st Street
Sanford, FL 32771
View Map
Phone: (407) 665-7050
Fax: (407) 665-7486

Planning and Development Division
1101 East 1st Street
Sanford, FL 32771
View Map
Phone: (407) 665-7371
Fax: (407) 665-7385

Development Services

Common Questions

Q. Most of the homeowners on my street keep their lawns maintained, however the is one home that only cuts his grass when he absolutely has to and the grass gets to be very high. Is there something that can be done?

A. The nuisance ordinance defines uncultivated vegetation as, “any weed growth, grass growth, undergrowth or dead or living vegetative matter which is allowed or has been allowed to grow in an uncontrolled manner or is not regularly maintained and which is in excess of eight (8) inches in height on improved property.” 

Q. What are the requirements to keep a vehicle which is dismantled, wrecked, junked and/or non-operating?

A. When used in this context, the term “non-operating” means any vehicle which, with the proper licensing, could not mechanically or legally be operated on public rights of way. Vehicles are not required to have licensing, however, if a vehicle is to be kept, it must be mechanically operable on the road if it were licensed. If it can not mechanically or legally be operated it must be kept within an attached carport or an enclosed garage.

Q. My neighbor has a junk yard, he keeps everything, can something be done?

A. Yard trash, putrescible and non-putrescible waste, by way of example and not limited to; paper, cardboard, metal, lumber, concrete rubble, glass, bedding, crockery, household furnishings, household appliances, dismantled pieces of motor vehicles or other machinery, rubber tires, etc. being kept on a piece of property and located within 300’ of a structure would be considered a violation of code.

Q. The house next door is a rental, who is responsible for keeping it clear of code violations?

A. The property owner, as determined by the Seminole County Tax Collectors Office, is the party responsible for keeping their property clear of violations.

Q. What if I feel my neighbor is in violation of the code, how do I report it?

A. A phone call to the Code Enforcement Office could begin action toward an alleged violator. Once a report is taken, an officer is sent to determine if a violation of code exists. If the officer finds a violation exists, a notice of violation is issued to the property owner.

Q. What happens if the violation is not corrected?

A. Eventually, if the violation is not corrected, the case may be brought before the Code Enforcement Board. This is a 7 member quasi-judicial volunteer board appointed by the Board of County Commission. The Code Enforcement Board has the power to levy fines up to $250.00 a day for every day the violation remains in violation. If the violation is a serious threat to the citizens of the County, action could be taken to have the violation abated. These actions usually result in a lien being placed on the property.

Q. If I lodge a complaint, is my information confidential?

A. Under the Florida “Government in the Sunshine” Law, all our information must be available to the public upon request. If your name is given, either by phone, in person, by letter and even by e-mail, we would be required to release this information if requested. The Code Enforcement Office receives and processes anonymous complaints.