Street Lighting Customer Service Options

MSBU Street Light Repair Information

Electric utility companies (Duke Energy and FPL) own and maintain the street lights and poles located throughout Seminole County. The street lighting equipment in most residential areas of unincorporated Seminole County is funded by assessment districts called MSBUs.


Traffic Engineering 

Emergency repair requests (downed power lines, poles, etc.) should be reported immediately to the power company servicing your area: 

Duke Energy: (800) 228-8485     
FPL:  (800) 226-3545

Minor Repair Requests (light is out, cycling, dim, etc.): 

Please contact your power company directly, as this usually helps speed the repair.  Please provide the address nearest the light or pole location and the pole number, which may be found on a metal plate at eye level on the pole. 

The lights on your street are powered by the same power company that provides electricity to your home.  Please contact: 

Duke Energy: 
Phone:(800) 228-8485 
OR Submit an online repair request 

FPL: Phone: (800) 226-3545 
OR Submit an online repair request

You will receive an email and/or phone call from the power company once your request has been processed.  Repairs are normally completed in five to ten days, unless extensive repairs are required.

If you have any difficulties in reporting a repair request or in receiving service for street lighting equipment funded through an MSBU, please email or call the MSBU Program at 407-665-7178

For Tree/Vegetation Trimming on Power Lines:

Power lines are not  a component of MSBU-funded street lighting equipment.  To request tree trimming, please contact the company that provides power to your home.   
Please note:  Seminole County's Public Works Department (Roads-Stormwater Division) performs “safety” trimming of trees in unincorporated areas of the County.  Trees must be located along County maintained roads, within the County right of way, and must be considered a hindrance to safe travel on roadway or use of public sidewalks.  To request trimming, call Seminole County's Public Works Roads-Stormwater Division at 407-665-ROAD (7623), or complete the on-line service request form.  

Extensive Repairs Only - contact the MSBU Program:

For extensive repairs of MSBU-funded street lighting (such as replacement of a damaged pole), please contact the MSBU Program.  Please provide the address nearest the pole location and the pole number, which can be found on a metal plate at eye level on the pole.  There are two ways to contact our office:
Call 407-665-7178 OR 
Complete the online repair request form.

Covered and Non-Covered Repair and Maintenance Services:

The repair and/or maintenance provisions associated with the street lighting equipment funded through the MSBU Program, and provided by the power company, is regulated by the Public Service Commission.
The repair/maintenance fee charged to the MSBU Program obligates the power company to provide any service that is necessary to keep the equipment in good working order. Therefore, the maintenance service requirements have limitations. For example, the routine painting of poles is an optional maintenance service. In certain situations, painting may be available from the power company. However, if painting services are made available, the scheduling lead time for the service is typically in the realm of 12 to 18 months at minimum. To inquire about scheduling pole painting, please contact the MSBU Program or complete the online repair request form.